The practice of oil pulling started in India thousands of years ago. Oil pulling is an age-old remedy that uses natural substances to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. It has the added effect of whitening teeth naturally and evidence even shows that it is beneficial in improving gums and removing harmful bacteria. The benefits from oil pulling also include helping with skin conditions, arthritis, asthma, headaches, hormone imbalances, infections, liver problems and much more.
Basically, you swish a couple teaspoons of a vegetable based oil (coconut, sesame, sunflower or olive) in the mouth for 20 minutes and then spit it out and rinse well. Oil pulling is best done in the morning, before eating or drinking anything. I actually will do it right before I jump in the shower so that the time passes and I’m doing other things while I’m oil pulling.
How to do oil pulling:
1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth. (I only oil pull with 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil.) If it’s solid it will melt in your mouth from the heat of your body.
2. Swish for 20 minutes, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spit out.
3. Spit oil into the trash can…don’t spit into the sink! Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria, toxins and pus that are now not in the mouth.
4. Rinse well with warm water.
5. Brush well to make sure any remaining bacteria is killed.
This can be practiced daily to reap the benefits of teeth whitening, or once a week or even once a month. Whatever you’re comfortable with. Please share your experience with me!