As soon as I see organic cranberries at the store I start making this meal! It’s got all of the flavors and colors of fall.
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 sweet onion, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 organic pear, sliced
1 cup raw organic cranberries
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts (cut into halves or quarters)
½ cup organic veggie or chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 inch ground ginger
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp cinnamon
- Layer squash cubes at the bottom of the crockpot.
- Put half of the onions, pears, and cranberries on top.
- Add 1 bay leaf and some spices.
- Arrange a layer of chicken on top of the spices.
- Add another layer of spices and the second bay leaf on top of the chicken.
- Add the remaining onion, pear, and cranberries.
- Pour the broth over the mixture.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- This comes out very soupy, everything will be mushy and soft, serve as is or over rice.